Skip to Main Content
University of Detroit Mercy logo

Mechanical Engineering: Licensure and Certification

Detroit Mercy Graduate Certificate Programs

How to become a certified or licensed professional

National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES): Provides information on how to become licensed as a Professional Engineer or Professional Surveyor.  It includes information on the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam and the Principles and Practice of Engineering exams, exam schedules and registration, and links to state licensing requirements.

Michigan Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) for Professional Engineers: This website includes information on Michigan license and exam requirements, the application form for a PE license, and information on the new continuing education requirement.


ASHRAE Certifications: ASHRAE offers training and certification for HVAC-R-related fields such as building energy assessment and modeling, commissioning process management, healthcare facility design, high performance building design, and operations and performance management.


Instrumentation, Systems and Automation (ISA) Certification: Offers certification programs for individuals interested in becoming Certified Automation Professionals (CAP) and Certified Industrial Maintenance Mechanics. (CIMM). The website also includes information on the Control Systems Engineer (CSE) licensing exam.

Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Certification: Includes information about and applications for four professional manufacturing certifications: Certified Manufacturing Technologists (CMfgT),Certified Manufacturing Engineers (CmfgE), Certified Engineering Managers (CEM), and Certified Enterprise Integrators (CEI). The site also provides information on Six Sigma certification for companies.