The Assessment Team shares best practices regarding assessment, reviews the assessment methodologies being used by each school, and identifies those schools in which assessment activities require improvement. This Team collects assessment information on a regular basis, compiles reports, and forwards information to key stakeholders including, but not limited to, Deans, members of the Assessment Team, and the Provost/VPAA. The Assessment Team analyzes collected data and makes recommendations concerning identified needs or gaps to enhance assessment, suggests continuing education, and documents strengths and weaknesses identified as part of assessment as well as efforts that occurred to address those needs.
The Assessment Team reports to the Provost/VPAA and is a twelve-member team with:
*The structure has been temporarily modified with the approval of the Shared Governance Task Force to reflect the elimination of the Director of Assessment position.
Alyssa Goike (term expires 8/21)
Cara Cunningham-Warren (term expires 8/22)*
School of Architecture
Kris Nelson (term expires 8/21)*
College of Business Administration
Mithu Bhattacharya (term expires 8/21)
College of Engineering and Science
Mariam Faied (term expires 8/22)
College of Health Professions
Kelli Frost (term expires 8/22)
College of Liberal Arts and Education
Joe Paszek (term expires 8/22) - Chair*
Jill Turner (term expires 8/22)
Core Curriculum Committee
Nassif Reyes (term expires 8/21)
Mary Mitsch, Health Services Administration (term expires 8/21)
Karen Lee, Associate VP of Academic Affairs (term not limited)
Mike Verdusco, Director of Educational Technology (term expires 8/21)
Nutrena Tate, Associate Dean, College of Health Professions (term expires 8/21)
*Served two terms, ineligible for a third term.
2020-2021 Assessment Team Charges
1. 1. Advocate for the enhancement of student learning through purposeful, meaningful, and feasible student-outcomes assessment practices, using an institution-wide assessment management system. Advocacy includes:
a. Coordinating the outreach, education of colleagues and implementation of the new assessment cycle using the revised Office 365 forms.
b. Promoting a connection between assessment results and implemented changes.
c. Establishing a rubric to evaluate annual report submissions and a process to provide feedback to programs.
d. Participating in and/or recruiting others to support core curricular student-outcomes assessment and co-curricular student-outcomes assessment.
e. Providing assessment management training to colleagues, as well as informational documents.
f. Refining assessment practices using feedback from the committee and the campus community.
g. Communicating assessment protocols and reports with the campus community
2. Develop a mechanism for sharing best practices throughout the University regarding assessment.
3. Review the assessment methodologies being used by each college/school.
4. For colleges/schools in which assessment activities require improvement, provide guidance or training appropriate to their assessment goals.
5. Provide ongoing reports to and consultation with the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
2020-2021 Standing Charges for All Committees and Teams
1. Review the Roles and Responsibilities for MFA Committees and University Teams.
2. Review the University of Detroit Mercy 2019-2024 Strategic Plan.
3. Review the Shared Governance webpage to determine if information provided for the specific Team or Committee is accurate.
4. Keep the University community informed of Committee/Team activities by providing mid-year and annual reports to be posted to the Shared Governance webpage. The secretary of the committee/team is responsible for sending these documents to email@example.com.
5. Submit proposals, recommendations or documents for consideration by the Shared Governance Clearinghouse to the Provost/VPAA and the MFA President for review and discussion.